Monday, February 16, 2009

Turkey Mozzarella Sausage

This sausage came from SGK's desire to have a more kid friendly sausage. She took this to mean no red pepper; I took it to mean cheese.
5lbsground free range turkey. The ground turkey was cheaper than the whole. I chose turkey as it is lean and with the addition of the cheese I didn't want it the sausage to be too fatty
5lbsground pork. I had this leftover in my freezer from the last time I made sausage.
2lbsPrecious brand low moisture mozzarella
1 entire bulb as big as my 5 year old's fistgarlic
21pearl onions. Red, white, and yellow
14.5gFennel seed. The fennel (or Anise seed in a pinch) is what makes an Italian sausage Italian.
10gCaraway seed (supplements the fennel)
10gBlack pepper, coarse ground)
8.5gPeppercorns, multi-coloured (for texture)
30gCorn sugar. In a fermented sausage the sugar would serve as food for the bio that you add; in a fresh sausage like this one it's to help bind the meat so it stays relatively firm.
6gCoriander, ground
2.5gCoriander seed, whole (for texture)
100g
Kosher salt. Kosher salt is not iodized. You don't want to cook with iodine!
¼ cup2004 Cline ancient vine zinfandel
2 cupsWater
4¼ ozTrader Joes brand sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (The sun dried tomatoes were SGK's idea)
8½ ozChristopher Ranch brand Sun dried tomato pesto (The only kind of sun dried tomatoes they had at nob hill)
6gColmans yellow mustard powder
2gBrown mustard seed
Several feet32-35mm Hog casing

Grind the garlic, onions, tomatoes, and cheese with a coarse plate. Mix thoroughly and stuff.

I had a heck of a time with my little 5lb stuffer. I was using the medium sized spout, and I guess the cheese was clogging up the works. I switched to the large spout, which worked well, but it plumped the sausage thicker than I would have liked. I'm toying with the idea of getting a sausage stuffer attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer, which might help the problem as it has a continuous feed rather than a plunger like the 5lb stuffer.

The other problem I'm having is that the on a good number of the sausages, the links come undone, and when you cook them all the cheese comes out. I need to work on my linking technique.

1 comment:

  1. They sound tasty mate, I'm a fan of anything with Fennel.

    ReplyDelete